The Education Alliance (TEA) is a non-profit organization registered in India to catalyze quality transformations in the public-school system through strategic partnership support. TEA aims to build an ecosystem in which governments can strategically partner with mission-oriented non-profit educational organizations to deliver high-quality education. Our goal is to empower government schools to create the next generation of leaders by transforming the quality of education offered in these schools. High-quality education for every child in India would call for a system that is accountable, collaborative, and equitable.
TEA sets up a Project Management Unit (PMU) to support the state education departments to partner more strategically with non-state actors and to design and deliver programs with the objective of building governments’ own capacity to sustain these initiatives post the exit of external partners. TEA currently has ongoing programs in Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Tripura and Madhya Pradesh.
The current opportunity involves working with the Tamil Nadu School Education Department on a System Reform project in Chennai. It is an exciting opportunity to work on 15 priority areas identified by the state. You will lead a team that will oversee the implementation of visionary projects aimed at transforming public education in Tamil Nadu. TEA will support the government through a six-person team (1 Program Lead, 1 Senior Manager and 5 Managers) to deliver on their commitments to the State.
TEA and the Commissioner of School Education (CoSE) will both participate in the hiring process of individuals for the TEA team who will work closely with the state of TN for the education reform process being carried out in Tamil Nadu. The consultants will however be full-time employees of TEA.
The TEA employees will be based out of Chennai for the duration of the project (a minimum of 3 years starting from July 2021 until planned exit from State). During this period, they will be expected to connect with the central TEA team based in Delhi on a fortnightly basis.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
Design program strategy and approach
• Identify key gaps in the state education system and devise evidence-based solutions to address them
• Work with government counterparts to design actionable implementation plan with a clear timeline, budget targets, and division of responsibilities between TEA team members
• Co-design M&E framework with clearly defined performance indicators, targets, and milestones
• Act as an interface between key stakeholders, including Central Committee, State Steering Committee, government officials, program partner, donors and other implementation partners (e.g. non-profits)
• Develop strong working relationships with state government officials, including Principal Secretary, State Directors, etc.
• Conduct periodic update meetings/check-ins with stakeholders to communicate program progress
On-ground implementation and monitoring
• Oversee and guide Managers on specific verticals in executing the program strategy
• Coordinate with partners (government officials, TEA team, partner organizations, etc.) to deliver on program objectives
• Enable implementation partners, including government officials, to meet outcome, budget, and timeline targets. Ensure availability, timely deployment and efficient utilization of resources
• Identify operational bottlenecks and weaknesses, wherever applicable, and devise work-around strategies
• Track program progress on key indicators according to the M&E framework
• Ensure quality of documents prepared by TEA team members, including reports, presentations, proposals, etc.
TEA knowledge and capacity-building
• Ensure effective transfer of knowledge from TN State to TEA team, to build the latter’s institutional knowledge and capacity
• Understand key aspects of strategy, such as which programs work, as well as ways to scale interventions, monitor program outcomes, improve governance structures, and sustain govt. relations
• Synthesize best practices and program learnings to strengthen TEA’s institutional knowledge and support thought leadership activities
• Support grant management activities, through proposals, donor reports, concept notes, etc.
• Represent TEA at key forums such as meeting and conferences at the state/regional/national level
• Provide effective mentoring to TEA team members to develop their skills and capabilities
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and will depend upon the candidate’s experience levels.
Please send your resumes along with a letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org; mention “Project Lead – State Reform (Tamil Nadu)” in the subject of your email.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com